lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

Can a father sign over his rights to the state? in florida? Does the mother need to consen

Customer Question

Can a father sign over his rights to the state? in florida? Does the mother need to consent?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

Can you give me some more details and your position in the situation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am the mother of the 2 kids both under the age of 7. He has a new girl and doesn't want to pay childsupport. Also he is mad because I was taking care of his older son ( of no relation to me) and i told him plenty of times to come get him out of my house becasue he was not helping to take care of him so I ended up calling dcf on him for the boy. Now the father is being charged with abandonment for him. So he wants to get back at me for that action against him.

Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
He has a new girl and doesn't want to pay child support.

He cannot voluntarily give up his parental rights in order to avoid paying child support. While his parental rights could be terminated, he would still be required to pay his support.
If he does try to terminate, you would have to be notified of the court action and there is no way a judge is going to allow him to not pay his support. It is an empty threat. If he quits paying, then file in court and have all future payments made through the court system if that is not already being done.
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
I hoped my answer helped. If I have fully answered your question, please rate my service. If you need more assistance, please let me know.