Robert, Attorney
Experience:  I am a licensed Attorney.

my lawyer has gotten me throught the disclosure phase of my

my lawyer has gotten me throught the disclosure phase of my divorce but refuses to do anything else until i pay him another thousand dollars. can i finish the divorce myself?
Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer!

Is your divorce uncontested? In other words, do you and your spouse agree on the major issues or are you still in disagreement?

What was last filed with the court?

Is your spouse represented by an attorney?

Once I have more information I will be glad to assist you with answering whether or not it is a good idea to proceed on your own or not.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is uncontested but he lives in another state and is uncooperative. my disclosure papers with the last thing that i believe was filed. my lawyer hasn't responded to me in over 2 months and just recently told me I needed to pay $1000 before he will proceed. i have already paid him $3500. my husband is not represented by an attorney.

Thank you for your follow-up.

If your spouse will not cooperate then that alone may be reason enough to continue with the attorney but, if you do, make sure you get a clear understanding of what the attorney is offering you for your money.

It is your choice to proceed from here without an attorney and represent yourself. However, you will need to learn about the divorce process and what must be done to finalize your divorce. If you choose to proceed on your own you should go to your attorney in person to collect your file and inform the attorney that you are proceeding on your own from here on.

You can use the following links to gain an understanding of the entire divorce process:

You can access instructions and forms for completing your divorce process by using the self-help resources contained within the following link:

If you are not comfortable proceeding on your own (and learning about the rules and the process) then it would be wise for you to continue with your legal representative.

I hope this has helped and I wish you all the best. Please let me know if you need me to further clarify my answer and I will do my best to so clarify.

Thank you,

While of course not required, a bonus is greatly appreciated if I have been particularly helpful. To request my assistance again in the future, please go to the following link and enter your question on my profile page: