How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JackJD Your Own Question
JackJD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 535
Experience:  I've been in practice for 30+ years, concentrating in family and employment law. I enjoy helping people.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JackJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend and I have been off and on caring for his cousins

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend and I have been off and on caring for his cousin's three children mostly because he has not had a steady place to live. The father was arrested two days ago so is now sitting in county jail. Its possible he may get out on bail, but not sure when. My question is given the circmstances how would we go about enrolling the kids in school being that school starts Sept. 4th. (they did attend school here for part of last year but transferred half way thru the year)
Also, I am wondering what documentation we should have giving us permission for things like medical care etc.

JackJD :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll answer your question.

You didn't say, but I'm assuming that the cousin has custody of the children.


JackJD :

Then what you need is written permission from the cousin to enroll them in school. (Exactly what they want to see varies from school district to school district, but that's the basic.)

You also want written permission to authorize medical treatment. This is important, since not having it will hold up things in the ER if (heaven forbid) a kid should get injured or sick.


JackJD :

The paper just needs to say something like "My name is XXXXX XXXXX am the mother/father of Brittany, Justin, and Whosit (dates of birth) and I have custody ... My kids are now living with Joe at ... address. I hereby authorize Joe to enroll my children in the - school,
signed. ....


JackJD :

You can usually get a document like this into and back out of a correctional facility by mailing it in and including a return address. It may be worth it to call the facility and make sure it can go in.


JackJD :

Oh, I meant to include a stamped, self-addressed envelop.


JackJD :

Have I fully answered your question, or do you have a follow up?

JackJD and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions