Robert
Robert, Attorney
Experience:  I am a licensed Attorney.
62978293

is it true that child suppor goes on after the age of 21?

Hello and thank you for choosing JustAnswer!

Generally speaking, in New York a child support obligation may be terminated once the child reaches the age of 21 if the child is living at home or attending college until that age. However, child support may be ordered/agreed to last until the end of college in a previous agreement or the divorce decree. If you agreed to pay for or help pay for college in a lawfully executed agreement then a Judge will likely uphold such an agreement. If the Judge has not signed an order or agreement to that effect then you can petition the court to terminate the child support once the child reaches the age of 21.

I hope this has helped and I wish you all the best. Please let me know if you need me to further clarify my answer and I will do my best to so clarify.

Thank you,

Robert

While of course not required, a bonus is greatly appreciated if I have been particularly helpful. To request my assistance again in the future, please go to the following link and enter your question on my profile page:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-askrobert/