Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My ex was ordered to pay alimony but moved from Michigan to

My ex was ordered to pay alimony but moved from Michigan to Oregon. His wages are being garnished, but Oregon puts a 50% limit on the amount that can be deducted. This limit leaves him short every month on what he owes. The judge has ruled him in contempt ot court, and has ordered additional measures to pay the arrearages, but what are my options now since he is not complying with the judges orders?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Question: My ex was ordered to pay alimony but moved from Michigan to Oregon. His wages are being garnished, but Oregon puts a 50% limit on the amount that can be deducted. This limit leaves him short every month on what he owes. The judge has ruled him in contempt ot court, and has ordered additional measures to pay the arrearages, but what are my options now since he is not complying with the judges orders?

Response: If he is not complying with the Judge's Orders, you need to go back to the Judge and file another Contempt action against him. This time, the Court would not be so lenient with him. The Judge may put him in jail until he complies with the Order. If you are still in Michigan, there is no need to transfer the case to Oregon. The transfer to Oregon would unnecessarily complicate the case. You need to stick with the Court that issued the Order in Michigan and get the matter resolved in Michigan.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But if he's in Oregon and I'm in Michigan, what can actually be done to force him?

Response: As previously stated, you need to file another Contempt action in Michigan against him. He would again be ordered to show cause why he should not be held in Contempt of Court and this time put in jail until he complies with the Order. If he fails to show up for the hearing, Michigan Court would issue a warrant for his arrest.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would the judges order in Michigan allow Oregon to arrest him? hope so.

Response: Yes.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.