How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question

Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 96794
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a change of state custody question. for Wisconsin law.

Customer Question

I have a change of state custody question. for Wisconsin law. I think the guardian ad litem is just being lazy as all his decisions are status qua regardless of the facts I bring to court. He did not interview the children until 4 days before court. This past year they were with dad for school year and absent 10 times each, and late 33 times each. He refuses to allow their older sister (22 years old) to have any unsupervised by him visitation. He doesn't follow the 30 day notice so I can see the children rule during the school year. etc.

ANYWAY my husband pointed out an irregularity in our final divorce decree.

Unlike normal, where the parent requesting the move has to prove why its in the best interest of the children, my Divorce states ::

'Under this paragraph, the burden of proof is on the parent objecting to the move or removal.'

I have tried to point this out to the GAL, who just ignores me and makes no mention of it. However in COURT the GAL has stated, the burden of proof is on the parent requesting the move. My understanding is the Divorce decree states its on the objector, and that's what the court should be setting the burden on.

I can post whatever info you need from the divorce papers as needed!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
We actually hear this complaint frequently about the GAL not wanting to change custody matters. Most of the court GAL's are overworked and really disinterested in just about everything except their own agenda. I cannot believe a court would allow a GAL to get away with misrepresenting what your court order states with regards to this move and it would be up to you to point out to the judge that the GAL is misrepresenting what your court order says and the court order you have says the party objecting to the move has the burden of proof.

The courts in agreeing to changes in custody, and thus change of the status quo, require a proof by evidence of a significant change in circumstances such that the change is warranted in the best interests of the children. You do not say if you are represented by an attorney in this, but if you are not this makes a big difference because many times pro se parties may have boxes of evidence supporting their position, but they fail to properly introduce it the court cannot consider that evidence legally.

Generally, if you can show lack of school attendance, loss of stable residence those are grounds showing significant change sufficient for a court to rule to change custody and we cannot evaluate your actual evidence here, but if it was presented properly to the court in accordance with the rules of evidence and rules of civil procedure, then these are generally legitimate good cause reasons for a court to change custody and allow the move out of state as well..

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Last | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Thoreau (T-USA)'s Avatar

    Thoreau (T-USA)


    Satisfied Customers:

Chat Now With A Family Lawyer
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq.
Attorney At Law
12054 Satisfied Customers
Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.