Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I HAVE A COURT DATE TO REDUCE MY ALIMONY PAYMENTS OWING TO

I HAVE A COURT DATE TO REDUCE MY ALIMONY PAYMENTS OWING TO FINANCIAL REVERSES. MY EX HAS HIRED AN ATTORNEY TO FIGHT THIS. I DO HAVE AN ATTORNEY. HELP!!!

BART
What is your actual question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I live in Ca. My attorney is petitioning to reduce my 6+ years in alimony payments to my ex because I have lost considerable income from commercial properties in the past year. I was married for 17 years with no children. I am 80 and ex is 64

She has made no attempt to find employment (per Gavron warning) is in arrears on state and federal taxes and owes on her credit cards. I am not responsible .

Ex has now hired an attorney and requested further documents of my finances I see this as a delay tactic. My attorney has alll pertinent docs. How far can ex go with this? Will I have to pay her attorney. I am in a true financial crises? My court date is early Oct. ex wife has not been served or notified officially. She somehow learned this cut in her alimony was coming

What am I facing? What are my rights?
In alimony under CA law, the ability of the spouse to pay it is a consideration and if you are now able to demonstrate that you have suffered this significant change in financial circumstances and she has had the Gavron warning, then your chances are going to be that there is going to be a decrease or even a termination in support. You would likely not have to pay her attorney if you demonstrate the significant change in your circumstances and the fact that she has not sought any employment.

You are facing proving your income has significantly changed and if you can do that, then the court has the right to at the least reduce the amount of support you are paying.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”