Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am not sure which area of law this would fall under. Please

I am not sure which area of law this would fall under. Please help me direct it to the appropriate experts. Recently my grandmother was in a very dangerous car accident, flipping her vehicle several times and being ejected from the car. She underwent several surgeries and is currently at a rehabilitation center within a nursing home. She is unable to care for herself and is expected not to walk for at least 3 months, but she is very awake and coherent, as always. She is very concerned the staff responsible for cleaning her is not doing it properly, leaving filth behind. I apologize for the extremely graphic example, but when they change her diaper, they leave feces behind in excess and she is very afraid of getting an infection in her feminine areas. She has brought it to their attention. She told the higher-ups, and things improved for a day but then returned to the same. My grandmother pleaded yesterday to one of the women to clean her thoroughly. The woman responded, "Don't tell me what to do!"

Before my grandmother's accident, she was an employee (CNA) of the same elderly care facility and she remembers several meetings that they had regarding an excessive number of urinary tract infections in the building. Now, she feels, she knows why. Also, she is not supposed to be there to stay long term. She is there for intensive physical therapy so that she may leave. Yet, the staff is not getting her cleaned and prepared in time to make her physical therapy sessions and so she has not at this exercise in weeks! Do we have any recourse for either issue?

Thank you, kindly.
This is the type of matter that can lead to a complaint to the department of health and hospitals who oversees these nursing homes. Second, if she does contract any such infection, they can be sued for negligence and malpractice, since she can prove they were improperly cleaning her and this led to her infection. Finally, this is something that can also be considered a ground to sue them for breach of contract and seek to make them pay damages to her for her having to get someone in to clean her properly because they are refusing to do it despite being told that they are improperly performing.

You need to consider sitting with a local elder law attorney who handles these elder abuse and nursing home abuse cases, because that is what this is considered under and consider pursuing a claim against the home. To find a local attorney who handles nursing home abuse cases you can use the same site used by other attorneys, http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you!

Thank you.