Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

our daughters boyfriend was removed from the apartment they

Customer Question

our daughter's boyfriend was removed from the apartment they lived in due to a two year protective order granted to her after an abusive situation. One month is left on the lease, our daughter paid her half, is the boyfriend still responsible for his last month rent?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Legally he is bound to the payment for his share of the lease. If he does not pay, your daughter would be liable to pay the landlord as the landlord can collect rent from both of the tenants either jointly or individually, and then your daughter would have a right to sue the boyfriend for his share of the rent. She could sue in small claims court for the rent due if he refuses to pay his share and she does not need an attorney to do that.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He put down the security deposit. Can she finish up her month and let them take it from that?

That is up to the landlord as to whether or not they will agree to that, since the security deposit is for damages and the landlord has the discretion as to whether or not they will agree to accept that for rent due.