Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

How long is a Legal Seperation good for. Is there a time limit?

Customer Question

How long is a Legal Seperation good for. Is there a time limit? Can it expire?
Thank you for our help.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Could you explain a little more?

Did you apply for separate Support with the Court or are you just living separate and apart and you are now wondering when you should file for divorce?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We went to court and obtained a Legal Seperation. We are living apart also. Our finances are separate. The only thing we have been doing together is taxes. My spouse is now sick, could I be held legally responsible for the medical bills. We have had this legal Seperation at least a couple of years now. Thank you.

Thank you for the information:

Response 1: No, you are not responsible for her medical bills if you did not sign any papers with her health care providers as the Responsible Party.

Your initial post: How long is a Legal Seperation good for. Is there a time limit? Can it expire?
Thank you for our help.

Response 2: Legal Separation does not have an expiration date. It stays in full force and effect until the parties withdraw it from the Court or file for divorce.