Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

What is ones right to privacy if placed on TV for not paying

Customer Question

What is one's right to privacy if placed on TV for not paying child support.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I Still Desire An Answer. Maybe a personal privacy or entertainment practitioner.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

Please note that there may be a slight delay in response time, as I may be helping with other questions or I may be away from the computer. I will answer any follow-up questions as soon I can.

A person has a right to privacy in facts that would be "highly embarrassing" to a reasonable person. So, if the reasonable person would be embarrassed to have his failure to pay child support disseminated to a large audience (and I tend to think he would), the person could actually file a lawsuit against the person who posted the ad for invasion of privacy. That's assuming that it's true - if the ad were to repeat after the support were paid (if, for example, it were on a set schedule), then it becomes defamation of character, which means that he could sue for damages to his reputation.

If you have any questions at all about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service at 3-5 faces/stars so that I get credit for helping you today. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with experience in family law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is a person who was shown on the TV newscast and they are currently in jail for another crime.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If you're talking about a situation where the sheriff's department or the state is the one running ads, and not a private citizen, that's OK. The fact that the person is in jail on another crime doesn't affect whether the ad can be run. However, it might mean that he should contact Child Support Services to explain that he's in jail and see if they can take payments from his canteen account. I don't know if that would be enough to stop the ads.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are no ads. There was a TV station who portrayed him in this light and they did not check facts. He was paying the past and current amount. Is the TV station or reporter liable for false light, etc. What about the fact that his character is not that high however not everyone knew he was in prison so he had some character left?