Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues

My first name on my birth certificate is wrong.I have used

My first name on my birth certificate is wrong.I have used another name all my life.How do I change it?

Hello there.

You have to go to the family court in your county and speak to someone in the clerk's office there. They have name change forms that you can get from the clerk's office and you complete the name change form and submit it for a hearing in front of a Judge. So long as the reason you want to change the name legally is not for any fraudulent purposes, the court should not have a problem approving your name change and issuing a court order with your new name on the court order. Then when you apply for a passport again you need to enclose a certified copy of the name change court order along with all of the other required items to get a passport (fee, picture, application) and there should be no further issues with getting a passport in the name of the court ordered name.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below. THANK YOU !!!