Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

What would i need to do to file for custory of my child when

What would i need to do to file for custory of my child when i live in a different state then the child

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

Are you a biological parent with your rights still in tact? What is the custodial parent's situation?

Customer:

yes i am, she is on welfare with 5 child.

SoloLawyer :

Thank you. The proper jurisdiction to file would be the county in which the child resides. Your first step would be to hire an attorney that practices in that county/state and then file a Motion for Custody over the child.

Customer:

thats my problem i don,t live in md were my child lives. i live in NC

SoloLawyer :

I understand. You would need to call an attorney in that area and file the paperwork there. The state you live in does not have jurisdiction to enter a custody order.

Customer:

at what age does a child needs to be to request to live with thier other parent

SoloLawyer :

Unfortunately, children are not able to legally request to live with a parents. The Judge determines custody on the "best interests of the child" standard. At about age 12 (generally), the Judge will consider what the child's wishes are along with many other factors relating to the child.

Customer:

So i need to fine a lawyer in md to get this started

SoloLawyer :

Yes, that would be correct.

Customer:

thank you

SoloLawyer :

No problem!

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael