Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I want to know if i am legally married. I have not received

I want to know if i am legally married. I have not received a marriage license. I obtained the certicate on April 5 and I married on April 5 in Maryland. We did not wait the required 48 hours. i really do not want to be married but i need to know if it went through.
Zollie

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

Thanks for your question. This is an often-asked question and the answer is a simple one. "Yes, your marriage is valid". The issue here is the difference between a "void" or "voidable" marriage and one that was entered into "illegally". In a void or voidable marriage (when the other party is married, a hidden criminal record, infectuous disease, problems with having children, etc), you are able to end the marriage because you aren't legally married. Each state has its reasons why your marriage wouldn't be legal. However, a marriage license is only a rule about entering into marriage, not the marriage itself. That law says you need to pay the county for a license before you enter into a marriage. However, even though you violated that law and got married "illegally" (without paying), the marriage itself is valid and therefore you would need to get a traditional divorce.

SoloLawyer :

I hope this makes sense and hope everything works out.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

Customer:

even though i didnt wait the required 48 hours as the certificate requires

SoloLawyer :

Yes, even then. That is a requirement about entering into marriage, not a requirement of the marriage itself. You violated the law, which means you probably owe a penalty, but it does not invalidate the marriage.

Customer:

even if i didnt wait the required 48 hours like the certificate says

SoloLawyer :

Yes, even if you didn't wait the 48 hours.

SoloLawyer :

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

SoloLawyer :

If not, or If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael