Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 14 years experience
19958803

What are the duties of a Guardian ad Liden? What are the guidlines

Customer Question

What are the duties of a Guardian ad Liden? What are the guidlines for a visit from the GAL, ahould these visits be announced?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 years ago.

A guardian ad litem is a court appointed guardian attorney whose job is to represent the interests of a minor or an incompetent adult in a legal proceeding.

Rule 8:6 of the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia defines the roles of counsel and of guardian ad litem when representing children as follows:
.
The role of counsel for a child is the representation of the child’s legitimate interests.
When appointed for a child, the guardian ad litem shall vigorously represent the child,
fully protecting the child’s interest and welfare. The guardian ad litem shall advise the court of the wishes of the child in any case where the wishes of the child conflict with the opinion of the guardian ad litem as to what is in the child’s interest and welfare
.
While some in home visits from the GAL may be announced, as part of their investigation into any type of placement and report to the court, they can make unannounced visits to ensure the accuracy of their report. In situations where the custodian has been notified in advance, they sometimes "stage" the home so that it is not a true reflection of the environment that the child lives in.
.
So typically, it is best to be pleasant and endure the visits. After a couple unannounced visits, the GAL should be satisfied as to the environment and then can report back to the court.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.