How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq. Your Own Question
JPEsq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Published articles on family law, featured in several publications for successful trial work.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

does a child support order from another state have to be domesticated

This answer was rated:

does a child support order from another state have to be domesticated to start wage garnishment in Florida?


In order to have the courts enforce the order through contempt, you would have to domesticate it. You would also need to domesticate the order in order to have the order enforced through the collection system in Florida.


It is not difficult to do... here is a form that you can complete and file along with a certified copy of the child support order. It is a county specific form, but will work in any county in Florida if modified to reflect the correct county:


then apply for services here:


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I probably should have phrased my question better. My ex-wife's lawyer (from Colorado) sent an "Income Withholding For Support" form to my employer asking my employer to begin withholding 65% of my wages and start sending them directly to her, in satisfaction to what she calls back child support. No Court order was attached, nor to my knowledge does such a court order exist. My employer told me yesterday that although they have repeatedly asked and not received any court order, they intend to begin sending 65% of my wages directly to her. Is such an action on my emplyer's part legal?

I see. Your employer is not doing anything strictly "illegal" by doing this, but they risk liability to you should you find out there is no such order. I have no idea why they would comply to an attorney's request with no proof of an order... it seems pretty darn reckless. How do they even know they are speaking with a lawyer? I would firmly request that they not do this until they see a court order requiring it, or at least a docket entry or some proof that this has actually been ordered.

JPEsq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you