Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

My ex-wife and I, were married for 21 years and during that

My ex-wife and I, were married for 21 years and during that time she was in the airforce. We resided in maryland when she was called to california to train for a possible deployment. I stayed at our residence in maryland. The short is that she filed for divorce in california upon returning to maryland. The divorce was granted january of 2011. I never received counsel and when I ordered a copy of the divorce decree, it isn't what I agreed to. She retired from the military and in our decree i received 3% of my entitled 50% of her retirement. We have 3 kids;21(not in shcool or living at home) 18 in the marines and a nine year old living with his mom. I didn't sign over 43% of my entitlement to support one kid. We had agreed upon 15% to support the kid under 18. How can I get help with obtaining a modification to support.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation! If you agree to one thing and the Order was altered without your knowledge, that constitutes fraud (or unfairness), and the Court could re open the divorce if they believed that fraud occurred. I would speak with the California bar association for a referral for a lawyer in the field of divorce/family law, which should be able to point you to someone to speak to.

Customer:

I reside in maryland. I can't have an attorney in maryland or the military jag officers help. By her not being in the miltary anymore can we still utilize the military attorneys (benefits)

Customer:

are you still there

SoloLawyer :

Yes.

SoloLawyer :

I am here. If the order was issued by a military judge, you'll most likely need a military attorney to reopen it.

Customer:

soooo, It sounds like i need to get an attorney or paralegal to assist me with this. I thought that this service would give me a referral to an attorney.

SoloLawyer :

Unfortunately, we're unable to give referrals. All I can do is try to walk you through your options and give you my knowledge of the law. Hopefully I have done that for you, but am here to answer any other questions you have.

Customer:

Can't I just file a modification of the decree and ask that the support be amended to my asking. It sounds a little less complicated.

SoloLawyer :

Yes, you will need to file for a modification. However, if a military Judge made the order, you'll need to file in military court and I'm not sure you can do that alone without a military attorney's help.

Customer:

ok..will i receive a copy of this in my email.

SoloLawyer :

No, I don't believe so. You'll need to left click, drag the mouse, and copy the text into a separate word document to save it.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael