SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

My sister is 41 years old and has been an addict for over 20

My sister is 41 years old and has been an addict for over 20 years. She has no emotional maturity and is unable to handle her life or any kind of sobriety. She has been in and out of jail, has attempted suicide several times and been committed involuntarily only to be released 3 days later, each time. My parents (Dad, 70 and Mom 68) have guardianship of her 11 year old son. My sister is, at this point, incapable of holding a job or making any kind of responsible decisions. She is sociopathic and uses anyone and everyone who shows her any compassion. She was recently arrested and remained in the local jail, until she talked a friend into posting her bond (against my parents wishes). After 1 day with him, he promptly took her to my parents home and basically set her out. My parents have been living like this for 20 years. I am the oldest daughter and have always felt my hands were tied. I am now greatly concerned for my parents' well being, as I stated earlier their ages, in addition to the fact my mother has a heart condition and a pace maker. My nephew is a good kid but the constant disruption in his life and seeing his mother constantly in trouble, not to mention the constant tension in the house can't be good for him. Is there anything I can do? Do I have grounds to have her committed involuntarily and if so, is there a way to make longterm? She was scheduled to go into a treatment facility until this latest arrest which now must be attended to before she will be accepted (if she ever intended to go in the first place).....
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 2 years ago.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm very sorry to hear about your family's situation. I am a defense attorney for these types of commitments and can unequivocally say that you should have enough for an involuntary commitment. When someone is a danger to themselves or others and can not take care of themselves properly, an involuntary commitment is often the only remaining step to protect them and their family. You are correct that the facilities will not accept a patient if they have pending criminal charges. As soon as that charge is resolved, I would certainly talk to you local family law court about filing the involuntary commitment and getting the process started. As far as making it longterm, that will remain to be seen. The involuntary commitment will only last long enough to get her "straightened out", diagnosed, prescribed, and stable. It is not longterm. At the end of the commitment, you should re-assess the situation.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

Customer: Thanks. XXXXX start the process while she is out on bond ? And will that get her bond revoked?
SoloLawyer :

No, you will most likely need to wait for the conclusion of the criminal case.

Customer: But wouldn't the sheriff's department pick her up for transport?
SoloLawyer :

The Sheriff's department will pick up for transport if you need them to, but also they can allow personal transport if you would rather than. The Sheriff's department will also hold until bed space is available. However, I doubt they will agree to hold for the duration of the criminal case, as that may take weeks or months.

Customer: Got it! Thanks so much.
SoloLawyer :

No problem! I know it's tough.

Customer: It is all so unfortunate. Thanks for the help.
SoloLawyer :

Take care,

Michael

SoloLawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense