Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I am wanting to change my name back to my maiden name. I have

I am wanting to change my name back to my maiden name. I have been divoriced in 1991 and then again in 2003. Is there a document that I can do or a way it can be done without
highiering a lawyer to petition the court??

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

Yes, you can do this yourself. I'll post the steps below:

SoloLawyer :

First, you'll need to get a name change petition drawn up. There are a couple of ways to do this. One would be to go to your local courthouse and ask the clerks to help you pull an old name change petition. You can copy the format and insert your information. The second way would be to purchase one on a site like www.uslegalforms.com. The third way would be to pay an attorney to draft it for you.

SoloLawyer :

Next, you'll need to have it notarized and filed with the District Clerk. You'll pay a fee.

SoloLawyer :

Then, talk to the Clerk about setting up your hearing. 30 days before the hearing, you'll need to post notice of the hearing in the newspaper. They can most likely tell you at the clerk's office what the notice needs to say.

SoloLawyer :

You'll attend your hearing and if there are no objections to changing your name, you'll successfully have it changed!

Customer:

I will try to get the document from the above website to do it myself. And will let you know if I am successsful hopefully before my charges are put on my credit card.

SoloLawyer :

I believe you have already deposited your money. All you would do now is rate me so that I will receive credit for answering the question.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael