Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

New York State after several years of no child support exchange

New York State

after several years of no child support exchange between myself and my ex, he took me to court in 2011 and obtained a support order for our 19 year old

my question: I have and continue to carry the medical health insurance, can I go back from the point of separation (physical separation not legally, separate homes) and seek reimbursement for my ex's portion of his health insurance premiums until divorced and seek his portion of said child's health insurance premiums for those past years?
I plan to represent myself but am unable to navigate family law to find the specific law that would allow this - if indeed it is even possible. My goal is to go in for a support modification to lower my support payments based on what the ex would owe in past premiums, if I do not obtain through a modification of support then I will surely never see reimbursement.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

Unfortunately, you won't be able to do that. Child support can only be modified based on a material change in circumstances since the last order. A reimbursement for these types of medical costs is not typical (he's not asking for back child support either) so I do not believe you will be successful in this instance. However, I still think you should get a (free) consultation with a local family law attorney to confirm what I have told you. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news and wish you the best.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

SoloLawyer :

SoloLawyer :

SoloLawyer :

Take care,

Michael