Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I am about to finallize a divorce and I feel there has been

I am about to finallize a divorce and I feel there has been a breech of confidentiallity between the parties. I know it is not right but I don't know it is against the law to give out my therapist name to my ex-husband. Can you give me some insight? Deb

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Who gave your therapist's name to your ex-husband. And what is your question in relation to that?

Customer:

My ex-husband received my therapist name from his lawyer, who got the name from my lawyer, who I gave the name. I will repeat that in another order - I asked my therapist for documentation to present to my lawyer regarding visitation of my dogs, my lawyer gave the documentation to his lawyer, his lawyer gave the docunmentation to my ex-husband , and my ex-husband called my therapist to tell his side of the story. My therapist told him she was unable to speak to him.

did the lawyers have the right to give out the therapist name?

SoloLawyer :

I don't see any problem with giving out the name, considering you asked for documentation that was going to be used during the divorce. The other attorney is entitled to that. Once you bring the therapist in, the info is fair game.

Customer:

Okay, the info is fair game, but did his laywer have the right to release the therapist name to the ex-husband. The divorce was finalized in March but I have not received my settlement. The ex-husband has not allowed me to see my 2 dogs.

SoloLawyer :

Yes, the name goes along with the info. Otherwise the info would be meaningless, there has to be some contexst.

SoloLawyer :

*context, sorry

Customer:

thank you for your help

SoloLawyer :

No problem!
I

SoloLawyer :

I hope it works out for you.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael