SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

If my husband leaves for Israel to live/work, can I still file

If my husband leaves for Israel to live/work, can I still file for divorce while he is out of the country?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 2 years ago.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The answer is "absolutely". If he can not be reached overseas, you can inform him/serve him the details of the divorce through "publication" (posting in your newspaper) and if he does not respond, the divorce goes through without him.

SoloLawyer :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes, I am here

SoloLawyer :

Okay, thank you.

SoloLawyer :

Did you see my response and do you have any follow up questions based on it? :)

Customer:

My situation is quite complicated. My husband refuses to get a job to support his family. I have been the bread winner because he has pursued one ridiculous pipe dream after another (in 8 years, I can name about 15 different "careers" he was supposed to have). He smokes pot, and I have repeatedly thrown in out, threatened to leave the marriage, etc, all to no avail. He says he will take the kids or I will get the kids only half the time and I will have to pay him alimony. Now, I have found out he has joined 4 online dating sites with full profiles. Although not considered adultery, I consider this cheating. I do not know how to get him out of the house without a huge scene. I am hoping when he leaves for Israel, I can confront him with the copies of the dating profiles and then file. He is an unfit parent as well. I know that is hard to prove, and I don't want to bring my 6 year old into this. I want primary custody, and I am afraid.

Customer:

He also has been inappropriate with our 6 year old, telling him, "you will have a better life living with me (him)". My son asked me about that, and I told him that those types of conversations are for adults, he should not worry, let adults take care of adult things, and think about happy things. He has repeatedly taken our child to school late, does not assist with homework, sleeps all day, and doesn't feed the children. In other words, he is very irresponsible, unreliable, and I cannot depend on him. He is also aggressive, hence my fear.

SoloLawyer :

Thank you.

SoloLawyer :

Let me review for a moment.

Customer:

ok, I know its a lot.

SoloLawyer :

Okay, I read it all. I'm sorry to hear about that. I believe I answered your question above but will be happy to answer any others you have. :)

Customer:

I can contact him once he moves. How do I keep him from returning to our home. He has been quite forceful.

SoloLawyer :

If he shares the home with you, you really can't stop him. It's his home as well.

SoloLawyer :

You can try to change the locks, but he could gain entry anyway since it is his home.

Customer:

So, how do we determine who leaves? Someone has to leave.....the house is in my name, he has not credit rating, no income (that he claims)......if I leave, he can't/won't pay the mortgage.

SoloLawyer :

You'll have to work that out for yourselves. Or, when you file, the Judge can issue an initial order detailing who stays and who goes.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

SoloLawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense