Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.

I have been A Registered Nurse for over 30-years. My Background

I have been A Registered Nurse for over 30-years. My Background is spotless. The Hospital where I am (was) employed just did a big shake-up and multiple people (including the CEO) were fired. I was one of them. I don't think they had a good reason and I have scheduled an exit interview for tomorrow with the new CEO. I have asked for a copy of my file but they tell me it is their property, not mine. Now I hear the person involved in the firing has gone after 2 of the RN's professional Nursing License. She wasn't successful either time but I feel that I am entitled to my file to protect myself against anything she might try. I also told them I expect my check within 6 days (which should have been today) but I did not receive it. Does the 6-days rule not include holidays/weekends? Please advise.
Virginia Blakely, RN

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

The six-day rule would apply to calendar days, not just business days.

SoloLawyer :

As far as the file goes - in Texas you are not allowed to see the file.

SoloLawyer :

Texas follows common law principles - although under Federal law, you would have the right to view your file, just not receive a copy.

Thanks for the accept.

Did that clear up your issue? I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news on the file issue, but at least Federal law allows you to view it under the Freedom of Information Act.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So what are my options if they do not get my check to me in 6 days?

Hello -

Sorry for the late response. If they fail to give you the check in 6 days, you can contact the Texas Workforce Commission to file a claim against the employer. Good luck!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what are my options if I feel (by the number of terminated nurse's in the last month) that I may have been terminated because of age discrimmination?

Thanks for the question.

Are you over 40 years old? Does your employer have over 20 employees?