Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

I live in Maryland and my childs father is in the navy and

I live in Maryland and my child's father is in the navy and is lives in Virginia, He is gone 90% of the time which makes does not allow for him keep up with his visitation, and because of the distance it is not working out and causing more strain than necessary what should I do?

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

Customer:

Thank you

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. At this point, I assume that you have custody and he has visitation. What do you hope to accomplish at this point? Are you asking whether you can remove his visitation entirely?

Customer:

yes I have custody no I dont want to keep him from seeing his daughter

Customer:

I just want to know what could be some possible solutions legally that I can present in court

SoloLawyer :

Okay. I'm still confused. If he has visitation currently, the only change that could be made is to take his visitation away. You just said that you don't want to do that. So when you say "possible solutions", what do you mean?

Customer:

Because we live so far away

Customer:

I live in Essex MD and he lives in Virginia Beach VA'

SoloLawyer :

Okay. I'm still unsure as to what you would like to accomplish?

Customer:

We attempt to meet in a neutral location that is halfway between two points but this is no longer working

Customer:

I was wondering if there are any alternatives to this because as of right now that is what I have been trying to keep going

SoloLawyer :

That's usually the way it is done. Are you suggesting that he come all the way to you to make the drop? Why isn't the current setup working?

Customer:

no I was wondering given the fact that we are not in the same state are there any other visitation schedules

Customer:

because her father does not want to travel that far with in reasonable hours in addition he is in the navy so he misses alot of his time and creates difficulties when he returns and its not his scheduled time.

SoloLawyer :

I"m so sorry, I still can not figure out what it is you want to do . You don't want to change the pick up/drop off and you don't want him to have less time. What do you want.

SoloLawyer :

Would you like me to opt out so another expert can try to assist you?

Customer:

OK so I was wondering if it is appropriate to ask for like summer visitations only

Customer:

because we are not in the same state and he is away

SoloLawyer :

What is the current visitation schedule.

Customer:

every other weekend and rotated holidays

SoloLawyer :

Now we are getting somewhere. :)

SoloLawyer :

How often does he miss his weekends? When he misses, do you just drive half way there and then turn aroundand come back?

Customer:

he misses his weekends approximately 6 or more months out of the year

Customer:

I have but now I just wait to hear from him that he is going to pick her up

SoloLawyer :

So he basically misses about half of them at least, correct?

Customer:

yes

SoloLawyer :

Thank you. I believe this is enough of a change to warrant modifying the visitation schedule. There is no reason you should be put through this schedule when you live in different states and he misses up to half of his weekends. Your next move would be to speak to a local family law attorney about modifying the schedule. I would suggest either cutting it back to 1 weekend a month, which would allow him more of making them, or giving him longer vacation periods and not any weekends at all.

Customer:

Ok

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

Customer:

No thank you that was very helpful.