Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

How do I get a copy of a court hearing? I am fighting the state

How do I get a copy of a court hearing? I am fighting the state of Florida for custody of my grandchildren (an adoption), have been through the process of a home study and background check, as well as bought beds, etc. and fixed up rooms for them. We passed with flying colors, and the information was sent to Florida. In the last hearing, which I could not attend because I am in Indiana and have not been invited to attend via telephone or skype, my 17 yr. old granddaughter (who is in rehab and has been fighting this because she does not want to leave Florida) told the judge that I was bi-polar and refuse to take my meds, and that I am abusive. She also told him that I told her I would never let her see her two younger sisters if they came here and she stayed there. These are all lies. The state of Florida is recommending the children be put up for adoption (my daughter's parental rights have been revoked.) I do not know what to do, how to get the court records, and I cannot afford an attorney, especially in Florida. Can anyone help? I have been slandered by the state of Florida and am suffering sever anxiety over this. My health is in jeopardy because of it. I do not deserve this kind of treatment, and do not feel Florida has the right to take my grandchildren from me.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Since the hearing was on the record, there is a transcript that was taken down by a court reporter. I would start by contacting the court clerk and asking her the steps you should take to get a trascript. She may get you personally in touch with the reporter and you may have to pay for the reporter to create a transcript.

SoloLawyer :

If you speak with an attorney in that local area, they may be able to procure the entire court file from the courthouse.

Customer:

I do not have any of that information. I have already tried. I do not even know the court it was in except that it was in a certain county.

SoloLawyer :

You can start with the county information and just call the family law courts until you find the one that the case took place in.

SoloLawyer :

Unfortunately there is no other way of doing it without knowing exactly where it was held.

Customer:

I will keep trying

SoloLawyer :

I know this is difficult.

Customer:

I am torn apart, I don't even know how to get an attorney for that state because I live in Indiana. I cannot afford to pay one.

SoloLawyer :

Unfortunately, you will have to hire one. Finding a "pro bono" attorney for family law cases rarely happens, and the probability is exponentially decreased because you are not traveling to that state.

Customer:

You are right. It will cost me $1000 to make a trip there, but may have to go into debt to do it.

SoloLawyer :

I wish you the best of luck! Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

No. Thank you for your help. At least I can start by searching the family law courts and finding the clerk who may be able to help me.