Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

CPS called and said someone reported a concern about our

CPS called and said someone reported a 'concern' about our four grandchildren we have custody of. We just left court after being granted an increase in support from the noncustodial mother (who lives in another state but was present) when we arrived home 4 hours later the CPS worker's card was in the door. Any advice?

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What are the living conditions like for the children in your home? What were the allegations?

Customer:

I don't know specifics...conditions: upscale neighborhood, relatively clean home (3 dogs 4 children ages 11,9,8,7. Three boys have their own bedroom, girl has her own bedroom. Two story home, three bedroom, 2 1/2 bath, 2440 sqft with 3/4 acre. Bonus romm as childrens tv/computer room, and multipurpose. Children are in counseling because of previous abuse and neglect while with biological parents. (All on record with the courts). We received them out of foster care after home visits by DCS Knoxville and the guardian at leidem. Children have been with us almost 4 yrs. Good school grades, active in church.

Customer:

Children are always well fed, have clean clothing, always good hygene, need more data?

Customer:

Oh yes...biological mother asked me to call and I did attempt but got no answer and no call back. I almosty suspect her as the caller as 'payback'.

SoloLawyer :

What is she alleging the concern is?

Customer:

I don't have that information from CPS.

SoloLawyer :

Thank you. At this point, without further information, I can't really give you detailed analysis on what you should do. As long as the children are well fed, good hygiene, go to school, and are treated well, you are doing what you are supposed to do.

Customer:

So I should allow the CPS into the home for an interview?

Customer:

or should I ask for a warrant?

SoloLawyer :

They have no legal right to enter your home unless you allow them to or if they have a warrant. If they do show up unannounced, I would ask that they come back at a later date. In the meantime, you can speak to a local attorney and possibly have them there with you for the interview.

Customer:

ok...