How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3455
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi! For the last 22 years I worked for my husband until recently

This answer was rated:

Hi! For the last 22 years I worked for my husband until recently when he started to allow his clients to verbally and physically abuse me. Through out our marriage he controlled all the finances with an iron fist where I was concerned yet he was taking and loosing all our hard earned money in the stock market. He is now upset with me because I won't let him control me anymore so he has refused to give me money to pay my bills. Is he allowed to do this?

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Are your names on the accounts?

SoloLawyer :

Hello, are you there?

SoloLawyer :

It seems like you are having problems. I'll try to switch this to Q&A and see if that helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry, I tried to answer but there was a problem with your reply button.


no, he won't let me, the only account he put my name on was his etrade (why I don't know, He won't give me the user name nor password). The only account I have is my checking account which I pay my bills out of when and if he gives me what he feels like giving me! I don't even know what we have or don't have or even how much we made during tax season because he tells me it's his business and he makes all the money because the checks are made out to him! Sorry!

Thank you.

Unfortunately, he has no legal obligation to give you any money out of an account that is solely in his name.

That being said, if you were to become separated or divorced, that same money would be considered "marital property" and you WOULD have claim to part of it. But, to do that, you would have to initiate divorce proceedings.

At this point, your only option is to reason with him to convince him to keep supporting you as he has been. I'm sorry!

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for all your time, knowledge and the energy that you put into trying to help me today!

Have an awesome day!

No problem! I hope I was helpful!
Michael J, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you