Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

My 17 yr. old daughter and 16 yr old boy friend keep getting

My 17 yr. old daughter and 16 yr old boy friend keep getting into trouble. The police officer this last time told me to get a restaining order against the boy to keep him away from my daughter. We live in MN. Is this possible even if she does not want to stay away from this boy?

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Your daughter does not own the property: you do. If you tell him to stay away and he comes back, you should absolutely be able to file charges against him for trespassing.

SoloLawyer :

You can also file charges against him for harassment. The Judge can issue a no contact order which would keep him away from your daughter. If the police refuse to take the charges, go over their heads to the police chief and ask him/her personally. If they don't respond, go above his head and get help from the district attorney. I know it sounds like overkill, but if you're worried about your daughter, it's better to stop the behavior now than try to clean up the mess later after she has gotten in big trouble.

Customer:

Wa

Customer:

W

Customer:

What do I need to provide for proof of harassment and does it have to be against me or my daughter?

SoloLawyer :

It can be against your daughter. Since she is a minor, you have the right to file charges on her behalf. Proof of harassment would be contacting her and showing up after you have told him to stop.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael