SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense

What are the laws regarding a father who refuses to pay child

What are the laws regarding a father who refuses to pay child support of his mentally and physically disabled daughter - 24 years old.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 1 year ago.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Are you asking about how you can enforce the child support obligation?

SoloLawyer :

The Agency you need to contact is the Department of Child Support Services. They can employe a number of tactics to force him to pay, including garnishment of his wages, threats of fines or jail time, liens on his property, taking a part or all of his tax return, and suspension of professional licenses.

SoloLawyer :

Since there is no statute of limitations for past due child support, you can start getting the help you need at any time, whenever you're ready.

Customer:

I am really confused about the law regarding deadbeat dads and disabled children who are over 21 years

old

Customer:

Could you please tell me where I can look to find such a law.....

SoloLawyer :

Did you read my answer above?

Customer:

yes, but the law is very clear about childsupport for a child under 18, and very vague about anything over that, I want to know if there is a law before I hire a lawyer...

SoloLawyer :

Okay. The law is encompassed in Family Code 3910. IT says, "“The father and mother have an equal responsibility to maintain, to the extent of their ability, a child of whatever age who is incapacitated from earning a living and without sufficient means"

SoloLawyer :

I would speak to a family law attorney in your area about how to get the process started. There would first need to be a determination about the incapacity of the disabled daughter before the court could obligate the father to support.

Customer:
Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a way to get a printed version of this conversation?

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a way to get a printed version of this conversation? I tried to print the page but was unable to.....

SoloLawyer :

You can copy the text with your mouse and paste it into a word document.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

Michael

Customer:
SoloLawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense