Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

I was informed recently that I had child support payments paid

Customer Question

I was informed recently that I had child support payments paid into an account in a bank in oregon,but have not been able to find out anything on it. was told I needed an account number, but since I didn't know anything about it I don't have one. What can I do to find this if it still existes?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Who told you that you had this money in the accounts? The person who was paying? Or the state?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The person who was paying told our son about trying to get it for himself.
Thank you.

If there hasn't been any activity on the account for the past few years, it may have been turned over to the state. Start with them. You can search for accounts in your name and your son's name.

If that doesn't work, find out which bank the account was opened with. If you go to the bank and show they your ID, they should be able to give you information on any open accounts that you have - you just have to show that you are who you say you are. Usually, a bank can't give you an account number over the phone, and they can't give you information without identifying you, but if you're standing in front of them holding your identification, they should be able to tell you what you need to know. Hopefully, he'll be willing to tell either you or your son, and you wouldn't have to get any sort of court order from him. But, I suspect that the state has the money, if there really was an account.