Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Where would I find a change of jurisdiction form to file in

Customer Question

Where would I find a change of jurisdiction form to file in the state of California for custody/visitation. We have lived in CA for two years now, and would like to file.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a reply. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

You do not file a "change of jurisdiction" pleading. One would file a Petition to Register Foreign Judgment under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act (UCCJEA). To register a judgment from another state to be enforced in California (assuming UCCJEA allows it), a certified copy of that judgment must be filed in the Superior Court of the county in which it is to be enforced:

Someone in your situation would file this back to back with any modification requests in California to have it enforced.

See California's adaptation of UCCJEA:

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.