Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

For Lawyer MR ELLY There is a small office I rent with

For Lawyer MR ELLY

There is a small office I rent with a contract with his owner. Contract expired 3 months ago as I was not sure if I want to continue or not I suggested to pay him fr 3 months until I decide what to do. so I had additional 3 months without contract just a simple letter between us and his receipt. After 1 monthn h I must decide if to continue or not.Can I offer him to pay him for 2 or 3 additional months without contract until I decide what I wish ? Or in such case a contract is absoloutely necessary ? He gives me a receipt in any case but we are without all conditions indicated in a contract. In such case are there any risks I take?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!

So am I correct at this time that you have a verbal agreement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello Elly, not verbal agreement but a letter signed by both of us indicating that ipaid for additional 3 months. and indicating that we extended in this way by 3 months the contract which expired
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

I am afraid that if you already have a resigned contract for an additional 3 months, it is binding.

This means that unless he allows you not to pay, then you have to.

Of course, at the end of that contract, you can decide whether or not to continue on, on a month to month basis, etc. But whatever agreement you have now - for the 3 months - is binding.

I am sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry Elly I couldnt understand what you mean, what means binding? The additional 3 months Ipaid for is no contract for it we just made a letter saying we extend previous contract by 3 months.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Binding means "contract enforceable," i.e:

.יש לו את היכולת לאכוף

The letter is BINDING, it is seen as a continuation of the contract. So it is as though the letter IS PART of the contract. So it controls.

I am afraid you cannot back out from the letter now if you both signed it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes bu the letter is only fo 3 months so my understanding when 3 months finish he is free and i am free. Or not ?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
CORRECT - once these three months are up, you are 100% released from the liability and do not have to pay anything or renew the lease.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Elly , thanks . This is also my meaning is just difficult by writing. I mean we did the 3 months without contract only by a letter.My question was is a letter good enough? You said yes. And I would like to know if I can make additional letter for 2 additional months until I decide fr future? Is a letter instead of a contract can be problematic or a letter is good enough? I am sory I could not explain myself well by writing . Now we understand each other, I only will be happy to know if a letter can be problematic or is good as a contract even all contract conditions not indicated in letter?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are saying. You are asking:

Will the letter be binding even if it is not in the form of a traditional contract?

The answer is yes. As long as it has the details of the agreement, the price paid, and the length, the Court is likely to see this as an informal contract.

Can I create an additional letter for more months?

YES - but of course only if the other party agrees. You cannot force this choice on them. So once the 3 months run out, it is up to you and your partner to decide if you wish to renew the matter for 1, 2, or more months...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Elly all is clear to me now, he agrees fr additional 1 or 2 months. But that letter i mention is not having on it all conditions of the contract it says only we both agree to extend the contract dated.... for office located......by additional 3 months. are only such details enough? I thank you and wish you a nice evening. this is my last question for tonight if the details on the letter are enough?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
But that letter i mention is not having on it all conditions of the contract it says only we both agree to extend the contract dated.... for office located......by additional 3 months. are only such details enough?

YES, it is, because it incorporates the prior contract into it. So, yes.

It is my pleasure, friend.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.