Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My son and his ex-girlfriend have separated, with her taking

My son and his ex-girlfriend have separated, with her taking their daughter. The child has lived with me for the first 6mos of her life, she is now 7 mos old. The mother is forcing me to get a visitation order from the court to see the baby. Is this possible? How do I go about getting such a order established?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

California law confers discretion on the court to grant "reasonable visitation" rights "to any other person [a nonparent] having an interest in the welfare of the child." [Ca Fam § 3100(a) --"reasonable visitation may be ordered to any other person . . ." Barkaloff v. Woodward (1996) 47 Cal.App.4th 393, 398, 55 Cal.Rptr.2d 167, 170]

Because your son and the mother are not married, you should have a valid basis to seek visitation. Here's a good link that outlines the process. It is particular to Sacramento, but the law is the same throughout the state: http://www.saclaw.lib.ca.us/pages/grandparent-visitation.aspx