David L
David L, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney in multiple jurisdictions

My friend just went through a vicious divorce/custody hearing

Customer Question

My friend just went through a vicious divorce/custody hearing in which the ex-husband was granted full legal and physical custody of their 2 children, ages 11 and 8. Their previous visitation order/agreement was a 5/5/2/2 schedule (or something like that); the order read into open court was the following: in the summer, 1 week with mom then 1 week with dad and, during the school year, week with dad, every Wed with mom, every other weekend with mom and Thurs with mom when it's not her weekend. The hearing happened last week (7/26) and as of today (8/1) no paperwork has been filed with the court (we have both checked the website for Maryland Judiciary Case Search) and my friend hasn't received any paperwork. My question is, which custody order is currently in effect? By the previous (before the hearing) order, she can pick up her kids tonight and have them for the next 5 days. By the yet-to-be-filed court order, he has the kids until Sunday. I just don't want her picking up the kids today and have her be in contempt of court or, worse, arrested, which is not outside her ex's probable responses.

Thank you for your time!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is David and I will be assisting you. The new order is in place, even though it hasn't been drafted and entered of record. When the new order is entered, it will be effective as of the date of the hearing. Thus, your friend should act in accordance with the ruling and terms from the recent hearing.

I hope this information is helpful, but please feel free to post follow up questions or comments if I can assist you further. My goal is that you are 100% satisfied with my answer and rate me highly so I receive credit.