P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

I live in NC. My aunt would like to send her daughter here

I live in NC. My aunt would like to send her daughter here from NJ to live with us and enroll in school along with other extracurricular activities. She anticipates moving in a few years after retirement. I do not wish to have her parental rights terminated. The child's father is also in agreement with this arrangement. Should a "Power of Attorney for the Care of a Minor Child" be sufficient to give me the authority to enroll the child in school and other extracurricular activities and make health care decisions for her should she need medical attention?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The POA is sufficient for health care matters. All health care providers currently accept valid POA's

But it is unlikely to suffice for school, at least for public school. Public schools will require either a court order of custody or guardianship to register a child in school.

SO of the goal is to register in public school, you will need to go to court and obtain guardianship