How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 26730
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a teenage grandchild (16) who lives in another city

This answer was rated:

I have a teenage grandchild (16) who lives in another city in Georgia (about 35 minutes away) and spends a great deal of time visiting on weekends and summers. She now wishes to move away from her mother’s home to a more conducive environment for college ad young adult life. She lives with her mother, two much younger siblings, mother's boyfriend, and his two children in a small town with little options for growth. Her father (my son) lives near me, but has very little interaction with her. The 16 year old has expressed interest and done research on the school system in the area my daughter (her aunt) and I live in and wishes to move. Does she have any recourse under family/Georgia law against any opposition?

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

I certainly understand the situation your grandchild is going through. In child custody cases, the child, at 16 years of age, does have a right to decide which parent they want to live with. However, the final decision is always with the Judge, who will basis the decision on the best interest of the child. Since the mother currently has custody of the child, you or the Aunt, would first need to petition the court to gain custody of her, for her to be able to speak with the Judge and advise him/her, to the fact that she wants to live with you and what the reasons are. Even though this is not an issue with custody and the parents and involves the mother and another family member, the Judge will still consider her age of 16 and decision, when deciding. Everything you stated above would be something for the Judge to consider but the mother can certainly object and oppose the change of custody. If the mother contests this and will not agree, you and her aunt, as well as the child would all have to present mitigating factors, to show that it is in her best interest to live with you. At the same time, the Judge will certainly listen and respect the rights and wishes of the mother, before taking her rights to the child, away. The child's decision is only one of many factors for the court to consider and it will carry weight with the Judge but it is not going to be the only thing which the court relys on, in making the decision.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or
need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with
3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my
help. I hope you found it to be
Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100%
satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the
left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE
CONVERSATION "button. I want
to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and
that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How soon do you thing we could get this into court, and would the 16 year old (17 in January) have any rights under some form of emancipation?
You could get this into court as quickly as you or an attorney you retain, can file the necessary motion. If she was emancipated, she could chose where she resides. In case emancipation is being considered, I have attached a link that provides you with the statutes that control and steps that need to be taken.
FamilyAnswer and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions