Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My 43 year old addict son is going to move in with my 95 yr

My 43 year old addict son is going to move in with my 95 yr old Mother till he can get on his feet. He has just been released from jail for walking away from a Transition House. We've tried this before but he continually relapses. We are looking for a contract to institute between my Mother, me and him so he fully understands what will be acceptable & unacceptable behavior and what won't. I've already told him if he doesn't come home one night he will have to leave. We've tried this too many times but Mother won't let him on the street. Do you have any suggestions for us?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a reply. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

I am sorry for your son's situation. Would you like a sample template of a "lease" between him and your mother, with stipulations of what can and cannot be done?

If so, please let me know, and also list said stipulations so they can be worked into the contract.

This not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that would probably be a good place to start then he can't say he didn't know that was an expectation. This is such an unfortunate situation for him.....no job, no home, no money.....how as a parent to you throw your children to the street???? Thank you for any assistance you can give us.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Karen,

It is my pleasure. What kind of restrictions did you want to place on him? Can you list them, so I can incorporate them into the template?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
10:00PM curfew & we would decide on whether we would entertain any exceptions plus there won't be any exceptions for a month to see if he can adhere to it for even a month. He will help my Mother with chores and cooking. Do not ask us for money since he is being provided a roof over his head and food? He must have a job within 1-2 months. This living arrangement is only temporary until he can get on his feet. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Karen,

It is completely your decision. I am going to post this now, and you can add in whatever is needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where will it be posted? Thank you for your help!!
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
It is posted below:

The State of Pennsylvania County of _________

This lease is made between __________, of _______________, __________, ___________, herein referred to as landlord, and, ________, of __________________, _____________, __________, herein referred to as tenant.

Landlord hereby leases to tenant and tenant hereby hires the space presently known as:
_______________________________________________________________

The space is leased for a term of a week by week basis.

The total term rental is the sum of $_______ (_____________&___/100 dollars) which is payable in equal __________ installments, in advance, on the first day of each _____________. Tenant shall in addition pay such applicable sales/use taxes as may be levied from time to time by competent authority in addition to the base rental.

Tenant shall pay rent, and any additional rental as provided below, to landlord at landlord's above stated address, or at such other place as landlord may designate in writing, without demand, and without counterclaim, deduction or setoff.

Tenant shall use and occupy the premises as ____________ and for no other purpose. Landlord represents that the premises may be lawfully used for such purpose.

Tenant shall not permit the accumulation of waste or refuse matter on the leased premises or anywhere in or near the building.

Landlord shall keep a strict 10:00 pm curfew every day, unless prior permission from landlord is given. Tenant understands that this is important for his rehabilitation and agrees that breaking said curfew is tantamount to breach of the lease.

Tenant shall not ask for money from the Landlord.

Tenant shall attempt to find gainful employment. If tenant does not find gainful employment in 2 months, tenant shall breach the lease.

Landlord may enter the premises at any reasonable time, upon adequate notice to tenant (except that no notice need be given in case of an emergency) for the purpose of inspection or the making of such repairs, replacements, or additions in, to, on and about the premises or the building, as landlord deems necessary or desirable.

This document represents the entire agreement of the parties and there are no representations not stated herein, and this agreement may only be modified by a writing executed by both parties hereto.

Dated: ____________________________

______________________________________________
Landlord

_____________________________________________
Tenant

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.