Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My daughter surrendered her parental rights for my granddaughter

My daughter surrendered her parental rights for my granddaughter 6 years ago after the child was about a month or two months old. I just found out that the lawyer never filed the surrender that was signed by her at age 17 and notarized, witness, etc. It was a surrender of her rights giving me and her father authority to adopt. Is it too late, 6 years later, to file this paper and have the procedures followed through? We reside in Louisiana. My daughter is now 23 years of age, unmarried.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Unfortunately, this documents would have to be dated within 30 days from the date they are being filed and you would not be able to file this documents at this time and would need to obtain new documents that are dated 30 days or less from your daughter.

I am very sorry that this has happened to you and if this attorney was representing you in this legal matter, you might have grounds for a legal malpractice claim against this attorney.