socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

In Texas, if I file for divorce while my wife is out of state

Customer Question

In Texas, if I file for divorce while my wife is out of state staying with her boyfriend, will I be able to keep the property that we are leasing. I am the only one that signed the lease.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
The lease is community property if it was entered into during marriage, even if your spouse is physically separated from you. However, more than likely the court would order the lease credited to your side of the property division, because it has no value to your spouse. Moreover, it's likely that your spouse wouldn't challenge your right to the lease -- unless we're talking about some sort of extraordinarily valuable property with unique characteristics (view, location, etc.).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!