Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney

My family attorney charged me over $10,000 while my exs attorney

My family attorney charged me over $10,000 while my ex's attorney charged her $3500. I cannot afford my attorney anymore but my divorce is not finalized. We went through the child custody and child support issue and resolved it. Now we have to finalize the divorce. How do I go about letting go of my lawyer so I can continue my case without my attorney? What are the proper procedures?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Do you want to fire your lawyer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Absolutely. She has done nothing for me so far except empty my bank account. I could have done a better job representing myself. I'm not kidding. She in fact made things worse for me!!!!
Thank you for your follow up.

I am very sorry to hear the issues you had with your divorce lawyer.

Have you informed your attorney in writing that you are terminating his services and no longer wish for him to represent you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. Is that all I have to do?
Thank you for your follow up.

You would need to give your attorney a written notice that you are terminating her representation of you and that her service are no longer needed.

Once you give this attorney a written notice, she would have to file a motion to withdraw with the court and seek court's permission to withdraw from the case and unless there are currently some pending hearings, the court is more than likely to grant her motion to withdraw as your attorney of record.