max713
max713, Lawyer
Experience:  I am responsive, respectful, and relentless.
68040893

Can u cite the specific family court law of new York state

Can u cite the specific family court law of new York state which requires child support payments in NYS until age of 21

max713 :

Hi, I'm trained and experienced in family law, and I would love to help you through your current situation.

max713 :

F.C.A. §413(1)(a)

max713 :

"Except as provided in subdivision two of this section, the parents of a child under the age of twenty-one years are chargeable with the support of such child and, if possessed of sufficient means or able to earn such means, shall be required to pay for child support a fair and reasonable sum as the court may determine. The court shall make its award for child support pursuant to the provisions of this subdivision. The court may vary from the amount of the basic child support obligation determined pursuant to paragraph (c) of this subdivision only in accordance with paragraph (f) of this subdivision."

max713 :

That's the relevant law.

Customer: I need to prove to an underwriter for a mortgage that my daughters father must pay til 21. Can I copy and paste this exact law. What does RCA stand for
max713 :

Yes you can.

max713 :

It stands for "FAMILY COURT ACT"

max713 :

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

max713 :

If not, please give me a good rating for answering your question, so I will be compensated for my work.

Customer: Ok thank you. The underwriter is requesting the info but it is not cited in my child support order so I think if I refer to this law it should suffice. Do u think it will?
max713 :

It should, assuming what he needs is the relevant law.

max713 :

If he needs other information, come back and I can answer anything else you might need to know.

max713 :

Each underwriter will require different information, so it's impossible to know for sure.

max713 :

But, that's the relevant law.

Customer: What does subdivision two of section state in case he asks
max713 :

2. Nothing in this article shall impose any liability upon a person to support the adopted child of his or her spouse, if such child was adopted after the adopting spouse is living separate and apart from the non-adopting spouse pursuant to a legally recognizable separation agreement or decree under the domestic relations law. Such liability shall not be imposed for so long as the spouses remain separate and apart after the adoption.

max713 :

It has to do with adoption.

max713 :

It's not entirely relevant.

max713 :

Do you have any further questions?

max713 :

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

max713 :

This is a link to the whole law: http://www.jdbar.com/Statutes/fca-413.html

Customer: Just one more. Is support until child's 21 st birthday or thru the 21 st year thanks
max713 :

Great question.

max713 :

Until the 21st Birthday.

max713 :

The law reads under 21 - meaning until 21.

max713 :

Does that make sense?

Customer: Yes thank you for your assistance. I will cite law for underwriter attached to my child support order. If I have further questions I will contact you. Thank you
max713 :

You are most welcome; please rate me before you leave.

max713 :

... so I will be compensated for my work.

max713 :

Are you having difficulty rating me?

max713 :

If so, I would be happy to explain the process.

max713 :

... or, is there anything else I can answer for you before you leave the forum?

max713 :

... as a last reminder, please rate me, so I will be compensated for my work. Thank you.