Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.
22589080

I have court orders to have my son this summer and his custodial

I have court orders to have my son this summer and his custodial parent is in contempt of court.I am supposed to have my child's itinerary for travel plans thirty days in advance.I have none to this date.My son was supposed to be picked up by me today and they are ignoring me after stating they have no money for tickets and then threatened to take me to court and I have not heard from them since.I will be filing contempt papers this week but my question is; Do I have the right to get a police escort and get my child being they are not allowing me access and time with my son?I have court orders!!!!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

So you have a court order stating that you are entitled to your son currently and the parent will not allow you that access?

meigs004 :

Hello, I am glad you have entered the chat.

meigs004 :

Is that correct you are wondering if the police can come with you to get your child from the custodial parent?

Customer:
meigs004 :

That post did not come through, but I can represent to you that if you have a court order dictating that you are entitled to custody of your child or visitation and the custodial parent refuses to allow that you can consult the sheriff's department to send a deputy with you to gain custody of your child.

meigs004 :

Please try to repost that reply.

meigs004 :

You must be on a smart phone or IPhone, if you are I can convert this conversation to a Q&A format so that the chat will not malfunction.

Customer:

by consult You mean they do not have too?

Customer:
meigs004 :

It depends on their personnel, but most likely they will.

Customer:

It is for all of our safety that a police would be present.Otherwise I am tresspassing

meigs004 :

True. I would await the deputy to escort you.

Customer:

But by the law of minnesota nad the judges ruling...they cannot deny me taking him? I live in new mexico and cannot afford to come back home without him.

meigs004 :

If there is a court order in place, I would represent to you that you have a legal right to the child.

Customer:

there is dated last June of 2011 and the judge warned them any interference could constitute reverse custodial parents.They were put on notice by a judge because of past attempts and ther "mean spirited" actions and "dysfunctional"thinking.Those are the judges words.

meigs004 :

Right.

Customer:

Am I entitled by Minnesota state law to do so?Meaning legally take him being it is my time to be with my child?

meigs004 :

And the court order is from where again?

Customer:

Ottertail county,Minnesota.

meigs004 :

If you have a court order stating it is your time to be with the child, and the other parent will not convey the child to you, then yes you are entitled under state law.

meigs004 :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

No. Thank You so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meigs004 :

You are welcome, so if you do not have any other questions please rate my answer!

Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.