legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
4622441

I am going thought a divorce proceeding in Pennsylvania. I

Customer Question

I am going thought a divorce proceeding in Pennsylvania. I was to pay the marital bills while I lived in the house. I informed my lawyer I moved out on June 1st. He in turn sent a letter on June 12th to my wife's lawyer telling them to move to support. My wife's lawyer is now trying to put me in contempt for the bills in June. Is this possible? Also what do they consider marital bills- can something like dunkin donuts expect to be paid? Please help. I feel my lawyer is not helping me with advice.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

May I ask a few questions?

1. Was your wife living in the home while you were up until June1st?

2. What bills did you pay in May that were marital?

3. when you mention dunkin donuts, was that a charge account that you/she incurred while married?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is still living in the home with our children. She is suppose to buy me out after she refinances- this was set at the end of march in a court order- but her lawyer was to file,for exclusive possession- even after I moved out. In may I payed the utilities, mortgage, and 500 for support for the children to be used at my wife's discretion. There was no charge account with dunkin donuts.
Unfortunately since the attorney for your wife did not get notice until June 12th more likely than not a court would order that you would pay the June expenses, ie the utilities, mortgage and support. But if the order says you only have to pay while you live there, and there is no requirement that you provide any notice before you move, then technically you are not liable for June and you may get a court to agree with you. Marital bills are the ones that incurred by either spouse during a marriage to benefit the marriage, such as a mortgage, utilities, credit cards that were used to buy clothing, food, household items, etc. So it is possible that if she bought breakfast for the family it would be a marital bill.