Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.

I recently moved to a small town in Utah. I have a X who has

I recently moved to a small town in Utah. I have a X who has 3 of my kids I have one other living with me. They did my support off of what I made there. Since moving here my take home is less than $1400 a month. its a small town with not much for a job market but i pay $750 for support which leaves me hardly anything to live on. What can i do?
Thank you for your question.

You can file a motion for modification with the court to reduce your child support obligation based on your current income. There are two potential problems. The first is that you would have to file the motion for modification in Arizona because Arizona would retain exclusive continuing jurisdiction over child support because the mother and child still reside there.

The second potential problem is that the court may consider whether your reduction in income was voluntary. If you voluntarily left your higher paying job to move and take a lower paying one, the court can consider that, and impute your previous income to you when calculating support. If you did not leave that position voluntarily, this argument would not apply.

For those reasons, it would be best to hire an attorney to argue the modification for you, and you should contact one in Arizona.

I do my best to answer the question you have posted. I am not compensated for my time in answering your question unless you rate my service well. In rating, please bear in mind that I cannot control what the law is and whether it helps you. I can only tell you what the law says, and I assume that you want truthful information. I would be happy to answer any follow-up questions or provide clarification via the “Reply to Expert” tab on the following screen. Thank you.