Juliana, Lawyer
Experience:  23 years of legal experience, former child support attorney, currently practicing family law

In our decree, regarding visitation, each party is to inform

In our decree, regarding visitation, each party is to inform the other of a 7 day uninterrupted visitation time 30 days before the date.

I was informed of this time, but it is less than 30 days. What are my options?

Thanks for your question.

Since this constitutes a violation of your court order, your remedy would be to file a motion to show cause (also called a motion for contempt) against the other parent. A hearing would be held, and the court would hear evidence from both you and the other parent, and then decide whether or not to hold the other parent in contempt. The punishment for this type of violation could consist of a fine, jail time, and/or a verbal reprimand from the judge.

It is very unlikely that this type of behavior on the part of the other parent would give rise to a change of custody in your favor, or a modification of the other parent's visitation privileges, so a motion for contempt is really the best option.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For a wrench in the question, I was told that she was taking 8 days, not the seven that are allowed. This time goes up until my regular weekend.

Do I have a right to bring this up, and at least state this item and ask for at least on of these days on the tail end?

Yes, you can bring this up and ask to be permitted to make up the lost time.

Good luck,