Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

I am 18 and i currently have a girlfriend that is 17 can i

i am 18 and i currently have a girlfriend that is 17 can i get in any trouble? we just graduated in may. we like in kentucky i live in my own apartment and she wants to move in but were afraid we can get in trouble. can we?
Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

Is this with permission of her parents or without?

JACUSTOMER-gnkcct3d- :

without

Steven Kincaid :

In Kentucky, the age of consent is 16. There is no crime for consensual sex if the younger partner is at least sixteen years old.

JACUSTOMER-gnkcct3d- :

ok

JACUSTOMER-gnkcct3d- :

what about her moving out

JACUSTOMER-gnkcct3d- :

we have graduated high school

Steven Kincaid :

However, her leaving the home could get both of you in trouble. She would be a runaway and could be taken into custody by a police officer without a warrant. Furthermore, it is a crime for a person to take or keep from lawful custody any person entrusted by authority of the law to the custody of another person or institution. Harboring a runaway may fall within this category. KRS § 509.070 (2001).

Steven Kincaid :

So yes, both of you could get into trouble if she moved out against her parents' will and lived with you before she turns 18.

JACUSTOMER-gnkcct3d- :

would that change if we got married?

JACUSTOMER-gnkcct3d- :

and is there any way we can get married without the permission from her parents?

Steven Kincaid :

Yes, but unless your girlfriend is pregnant, she will need consent of her parents. (I am not advising you to have a baby for his purpose :))

JACUSTOMER-gnkcct3d- :

ok thank you very much and have a good day

Steven Kincaid :

Happy to help!