Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

my daughters father passed away and we were never married.

my daughters father passed away and we were never married. what is she entitled too? shes only 14 months old
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I am typing out my answer. Please remember that this is general information only, not legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is formed.

Can you please tell me:

-what state did he pass away in?
-did he have a will?
-who is the surviving, immediate family?

This not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he passed away in nevada, not sure if he has a will and he only has one child 14 months old
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

If he had a will, then his property would be distributed per the Will. We have no way of knowing at this moment, but if everything is done correctly by the executor of the estate, she may be notified in writing of any stake in inheritance per the will.

Assuming that there is no will, then the estate is divided in accordance to default rules of succession, and in Nevada, they can be found here:

http://www.mystatewill.com/statutes/nv_law.php

As you can see, she stands to inherit a good amount of the estate if she is one of the surviving family members. However, to ensure that she does (if there is no will, again), it may be needed to retain counsel to ensure her interests.

Her inheritance may be placed in a trust until she turns 18.

I hope this finds you well. Please click Reply to Expert to keep talking, or rate my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Otherwise, reply to chat more until we are finished and you are ready to rate. I work very hard to formulate an informative answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups free after rating.)