Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.

Can I take out money from my annuity fund to pay some bills?

Can I take out money from my annuity fund to pay some bills? I am in a process of a divorce with my wife. I have been married for 25 years. I am unemployed for 2 months and my utilities bills will be cut off if I do not pay. I do not have savings. My wife lives in the same house, but does not want to pay. If I take money from my annuity shall I have legal problems for taking out money? I assume half of it will belong to her. She has very little pension and annyity acount, because she works only two days a week.

Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you today?

Customer:
meigs004 :

So you are wanting to take some money out of annuity while the divorce is proceeding?

Customer:
meigs004 :

The chat seems to be malfunctioning, and if it continues I will switch it to our Q&A format. I will represent to you that it should be fine to take some money out of the annuity to pay your bills. The court understands that situations arise where that has to happen, and you are right she will probably receive half of the annuity fund, and if the court feels that you should not have taken the money out, they will order you to reimburse her that money in the final decree.

Customer:

Hi, I am sorry I could not write at the beginning. Please answer my question now.

meigs004 :

However, with that being said, if there is a current pendente lite order, or an order in place by the court directing you to not remove any of those funds, you will not be able to do that without encountering legal issues.

meigs004 :

2:57 PM

meigs004 :

Does this answer your question?

meigs004 :

If so please click the smiley face and submit! If not, please feel free to ask your follow up questions.

Customer:

There is no specific order from the Court yet. However, It is part of the pleading. I have been served with the Pendente light Motion, but I have not replied to it yet. Can you prepare a reply for me?

Customer:
Customer:

what shll I do in order not to pay maintenace for my wife?

Customer:

Did you receive my last two questions?

Customer:

My computer froze several times on me.

meigs004 :

That is alright.

meigs004 :

I have received them now.

meigs004 :

I can not prepare the reply for you the terms of service of JA do not allow me to assist customers in that manner.

Customer:

Do you have any suggestions with respect to not paying maintenance for my wife?

meigs004 :

Yes, in your reply to motion, I would object to the imposition of maintenance, and I would argue that she is an able bodied women capable of gainful employment, and making an income to support herself.

meigs004 :

Do you have any other questions today?

Customer:

Thak you.

meigs004 :

You are welcome, if you do not have any other questions PLEASE click the smiley face and submit!

meigs004 :

Good luck to you!

Customer:
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.