stevexo
stevexo, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  30 years helping those with Family legal needs
10069793

I have been divorced for 3 years after being married for 26

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 3 years after being married for 26 years. We didn't have an attorney and my alimony is set to run out soon. Is there anything I can do to get additional compensation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  stevexo replied 2 years ago.
Glad to help. Please tell me what type of alimony order are you under. Can you tell me what it states? Also was it the result of a trial or an agreement. Thanks, Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was the result of an agreement. It states that he will pay me x amount until x amount is reached. From what I have read, I could receive alimony for approximately 8+ years. He also had many assets that weren't included in the original agreement. I signed the aggreement due to intense intimidation on his part. Thank you for your help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,It was the result of an agreement. It states that he will pay me x amount until x amount is reached. From what I have read, I could receive alimony for approximately 8+ years. He also had many assets that weren't included in the original agreement. I signed the aggreement due to intense intimidation on his part. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  stevexo replied 2 years ago.
What you can do is file a motion to modify the alimony terms. You are going to have to show a substantial change in circumstances since the prior alimony order. If you are able to establish the change, then you could win a motion to modify, and alimony could be increased. Sincerely, Steve
stevexo, Family Law Attorney
Experience: 30 years helping those with Family legal needs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I should find an attorney to help me, right?
Expert:  stevexo replied 2 years ago.
Yes that would be my suggestion, as it would really increase your chances to win! Sincerely, Steve