lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

I am preparing to leave my husband and am looking into buying

I am preparing to leave my husband and am looking into buying a condo for me and the kids. I have three boys (ages 5, 7, and 9.) Is there a minimum square feet I should have for the boys? Will it matter in the divorce proceedings?
Thank you for posting your question to JA/Pearl. Legal questions often take time for research or I may be offline so please be patient, I will reply.

I am sorry to hear of your situation. There is no minimum square feet. However, the condo should be of sufficient size to be a "reasonable" accommodation. If you are looking for a recommendation, you need three bedrooms, one for you and two for the boys to share. As they get older they will need more room and three should be fine even long term but two will quickly become way too small. The main thing will be that it be neat and clean which with 3 boys could be a significant challenge. Since children are involved, I also strongly suggest that you retain an attorney. Here is a referral site.

If possible, it is best if the two of you can reach a marital settlement agreement on all issues. You may also be entitled to alimony in addition to child support.

Washington s a Community Property state and In a community property state, all property that has been acquired during the marriage is community property, with the exception of property acquired through a gift or inheritance. Community property includes personal property, cars, real estate, shared savings and checking accounts, stocks, bonds, shares or interest in a business, retirement accounts, pensions and insurance policies. You might think property is something with value, but in fact even things that you might think have "no value" can be classified as property. For example: debt (loans, credit cards) goodwill, business name, professional degree or license, trade mark, copyright etc. Even if one spouse has earned all the money or a greater portion of the money to acquire the property, all the property is considered community property. In community property jurisdictions, spouses equally own all community property (fifty percent owned by the husband and fifty percent owned by the wife), and it is then divided between the spouses in the event of a divorce.

Good luck to you and your family.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information and for the lawyer referral.
You are most welcome. If you have future questions, please ask for me in the subject line "for LWPAT"